Your post workout meal is important.
You have just left your favorite class, your muscles are tired, your stomach is growling, and all you want to do is grab the first item that you see when you open your fridge.
Whatever exercise you’re doing, you want to make sure to refuel with foods that aid in both muscle repair and replenishing glycogen stores; your muscles’ main source of energy. When you workout, glycogen stores become depleted, so it is key is to fuel up with high-quality protein and carbohydrates that the body will convert to energy quickly.
Here are some of my favorite post workout meals, which should be eaten within 30 minutes post exercise.
Endurance Workouts (long distance running or cycling): mix of complex carbs, simple carbs, and healthy fats. This combination will help regulate blood sugar and stop any oxidative stress caused by high demands on the body
- Almonds Butter and sliced strawberries on Ezekiel Bread
- Sliced avocado and tomato on an Ezekiel english muffin
- Plain oatmeal with blueberries and almond butter
- Sweet potato with pure maple syrup and slivered almonds
- Quinoa or brown rice with black beans, avocado, tomato and green vegetables.
Cardio Classes (Aerobics, Zumba, Kickboxing etc): Fructose helps aid in restoring glycogen, while healthy fats halt oxidative stress.
- Apples with nut butter
- Mixed berries with walnuts
- Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread with homemade strawberry jam (microwave berries until soft, and then spread onto toast)
Resistance Workouts (BODYPUMP, Barre, Pilates, etc): Protein and natural sugar is the way to go.
- Spinach and tomato egg white omelet, or scrambled, with a side of berries.
- Shredded chicken breast on bed of kale with balsamic vinegar, cucumbers, and sliced grapes or granny smith apple.
- Plain Oatmeal with pure maple syrup and berries, side of egg whites
- Protein Shake made with 1 scoop protein of choice, 1 small or half large frozen banana, and enough water to make everything move.
Hot Yoga: Protein and Electrolytes
- Protein Shake made with 1 scoop protein of choice, handful of sliced frozen bananas, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, dash of sea salt.
- Coconut water or Maple water with a handful of sea salted almonds
- Green Juice made with kale, cucumber, celery, lemon and ginger.
Always come prepared. Bring your post workout snack or meal with you to eat on the go, and refuel those hard working muscles to achieve your best results!
Stay motived. Stay FIT! xoxo
What are some of your favorite post workout meals and snacks!?